The UK has one of the highest levels of Cocaine usage in Western Europe. Recreational use of the drug by British people is becoming commonplace. In fact, in May 2014 it was even reported that traces of cocaine had contaminated the public water supply!
Many people use Cocaine as it can give you a very powerful high. However, using the drug is not without its risks and you could be putting both your health and liberty at risk when you use Charlie.
Here’s 18 things you might not have known about Cocaine:
1. Cocaine Use In The UK is Rising
In 2018, the percentage of adults who said they had taken the drug the previous year was 2.6%, or about 875,000 people, the highest figure since 2008/09.
2. It’s Purer Now Than Ever
The increase in the popularity of cocaine has happened at the same time as an increase in its purity.
3. An Exaggerated Sense of Self-Confidence
Using cocaine can give you an exaggerated sense of self-confidence. This might mean that you end up taking risks that could cause you harm.
4. It Could Kill You
Overdose on cocaine and you could die.
5. Cocaine & Alcohol Are Not Good Together
Taking cocaine with alcohol can be particularly dangerous – mixed together they can produce a toxic chemical called cocaethylene.
6. Cocaine Gets Right up Your Nose!
The cartilage in your nose that separates the nostrils can be damaged when you snort cocaine. You could end up with one really big nostril!.
7. Cocaine Will Hurt Your Pocket Too
Cocaine is not cheap to buy – you could end up in a lot of debt paying for your habit!
8. Cocaine Heats You Up
Your body temperature will rise and you heart will beat faster when you take cocaine.
9. The Cocaine Crash Will Be Hard
As the effects of cocaine wear off, your body could crash and this comedown could last for days.
10. Do You Know What’s In It?
Cocaine powder can be cut with all kinds of substances – wraps have been shown to be mixed with sugar, starch and, most commonly a local anaesthetic called Benzocaine.
11. It’s A Short Buzz
The peak effects of smoking crack usually lasts for just a couple of minutes. The overall “buzz” continues for 10 minutes at the most.
12. It’s Not For Mothers-To-Be
If you are pregnant and using cocaine, you run the risk of miscarriage or your baby having a low birth weight.
13. You Won’t Want To Get Caught in Possession
If you get caught by the police with cocaine in your possession you will charged and you could face up to 7 years in jail.
14. You May Never Go To Florida Again!
A conviction in the UK for using or possessing drugs could cause you problems in getting a visa to travel to some countries, such as the USA.
15. A Urine Drug Test Can Detect Cocaine for 5 Days
All traces of cocaine leave your body 12 hours after last use. However, cocaine use can still be detected by a urine drug test up to 5 days later.
16. … Although It Is Actually Testing for Benzoylecgonine
Most urine drug tests for Cocaine actually detect benzoylecgonine which s the metabolite for Cocaine.
17. A Saliva Drug Test Can Detect Cocaine for 2 Days
A saliva drug test for cocaine will be able to detect the presence of the drug in your system for up to 48 hours after last use.
18. A Hair Drug Test Can Detect Cocaine for 90 Days
16. A hair drug test for cocaine will be able to detect if you have taken the drug in the last 90 days!
This post has been updated since its original publication in 2014.